Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge lies on the Big Mineral Arm of Lake Texoma, on the Red River between Oklahoma and Texas. Established in 1946, the Refuge includes 3,000 acres of marsh and water and 8,000 acres of upland and farmland. During fall, winter, and spring, the marshes and waters are in constant use by migrating and wintering waterfowl.
On September 8, 2011, the Grand Opening was held for the new Refuge Headquarters and Visitor Center. (Photo by Tami Howard)
In March 2012 the Refuge staff learned that the new building was awarded the Silver LEED Certification. More than 20 different design aspects helped reach this level of certification. To learn more click here.
Wetlands restoration has been underway at Hagerman NWR, in conjunction with Ducks Unlimited, since summer, 2011. Marshes have been refurbished and additional marshes created, along with a pumping system that allows control of the water level, bringing water in from a nearby creek or draining marshes as needed, to provide a habitat for waterbirds. Additional work is planned.
Photo - Common Gallinules in Marsh, by Eileen Sullivan
Hagerman NWR turns 71 years old in
Many visitors to the Refuge are interested in the history of the town of Hagerman, which was displaced when Lake Texoma was built. Please click History of Hagerman to read an article written by a descendant of one of the town "fathers".
Click Hagerman to read an article by Donna Hunt, that was published in July, 2012, in the Herald Democrat.
Several blog posts relating stories of life at Hagerman, Texas have been written also:
Hagerman Cemetery is located on Hagerman Road, north of the Visitor Center. The cemetery was on high ground and was not relocated when Lake Texoma was built. Click for a photo essay showing grave markers of those born before 1900 who are buried in the Hagerman Cemetery.